Central Valley High School (CVHS) is one of five continuation schools in the Kern High School District. CVHS services the students from the communities of Shafter, Buttonwillow, Belridge and the surrounding rural areas. The school was established in September 1971 and, although it hasn’t always been at the same physical location, it retains a rich history and has celebrated many successful graduates that are prominent and contributing members of the community. CVHS provides an alternative educational setting for students who have been unsuccessful in a traditional high school identified by poor attendance, poor behavior and low academic achievement. The goal of our program is to provide students a caring and structured learning community that will address and remedy the issues preventing their academic achievement, and to help them explore post-secondary career options. CVHS is viewed as a positive opportunity for students and has established respectable partnerships with local businesses, organizations and service clubs.
Central Valley educates students who have been unsuccessful in a traditional high school setting. More than 90% of our students come from Shafter High School while the remaining 10% come from Frontier High School, Kern County community schools and court schools. CVHS enrollment fluctuates between 80 – 110 students. A significant number of students have been unsuccessful because of poor attendance, personal/social barriers, disruptive behaviors and deficient academic abilities. The objective of our program is to prevent students from dropping out of school, to inspire them to endure and to learn from adversity within their lives and to earn their high school diploma.
The Central Valley approach to student achievement begins with a rich and rigorous academic program. Individualized instruction and a small learning community provide the perfect net for catching a student profile that is defined as being “at risk”. Our team of teachers and support staff prefer to think of our students as being “at promise” and are highly qualified to meet their diverse yet similar needs.
The staff at CVHS is composed of one site administrator, five teachers, one part-time bilingual instructional assistant, one counselor, one office secretary, and one full-time and one part-time campus security supervisor. The highly qualified staff collaborate together for instructional support strategies and strive to improve and remedy attitudes, skills and knowledge by providing a safe and positive learning environment. The instruction at CVHS is based on curriculum that employs the California Content Standards; it allows for flexibility of scheduling, smaller class size and meets the needs of students with diverse learning styles. The counselor serves the academic, career, and personal needs of the CVHS student body; additionally, the counselor provides support for the migrant and ELD student programs.
The site administrator manages the needs of the students, instructional staff and support staff. The school secretary conducts all administrative support functions related to the daily operations of the school. The campus security supervisors assist in establishing a clean and safe educational environment for both staff and students.
CVHs is composed of five temporary classrooms and one temporary administrative building. The administrative building houses the site administrator office, the counseling office, the secretary/reception area and a small kitchenette. Food services are conducted out of the Shafter High School’s cafeteria. There are decorated, green and yellow canvas style market umbrellas protecting 10 modern picnic tables. There are also two mature oak trees which provide nice shade. CVHS also provides ChromeBooks to its students. Each classroom has a professional computer workstation setup for the instructor. The mobile ChromeBook labs are setup for learners to access educational opportunities through the internet, conduct research and participate in current learning activities.
The school year is composed of 180 days of instruction. The minimum instructional time required for continuation schools is 180 minutes per day or 15 hours a week. Regular scheduled days consist of 345 minutes of instructional time, and the shortest scheduled day at CVHS includes 270 instructional minutes. Additionally, CVHS students have access to fine arts, robotics, consumer, family education courses and vocational pathways at the KHSD Regional Occupation Center.
Central Valley High School is committed to providing all students with programs and services that allow them to graduate from high school prepared to succeed in the workplace and at the postsecondary level. The staff at CVHS is dedicated to the success of each and every student. Students receive support academically as well as socially in order to become productive members of society.